Arisen

HomeHome   HomeAP List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Account has been hacked

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrich
Vanguard Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Account has been hacked Reply with quote

I got an email today from Blizzard saying my account is being sold which is a violation of the EULA. Unfortunate for me, since the account has been inactive for well over 18 months and Im not even in a position to activate it. So if you see Fred around punch em in the face!!
bowynn
Registered Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is getting these emails, so my guess is its some kind of scam.

Thorzek wrote:
Quote:
Haha I'm such a tool.
Thorzek
Shadow4Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=965511383&sid=1

Indeed, well known "phishing" tactic to try to get you to enter your account info so they can hax you for realz. Anything, ever ever ever, that asks you for a password is BULLSHIT. EVER. The most that any legit business will have you do is reset it and create a new one. There are privacy/security certification laws preventing them from accessing your password, so they couldn't verify it even if you wanted them to - all they can do is reset it with a temporary one so you can change it.

Basilor
Council Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have these emails. What really bugs me is how do they have my email addresses? I use 2 different ones for the 2 accounts and both got this letter. I did not respond to them, and forwarded them to hacks@blizzard.com. I recieved the standard reply that they would look into it.

Funny thing, last week was 4 years playing with no real changes to my accounts other than payment method, so it's highly unlikely they have anything suspicious to investigate.

I assume they would contact me again if there was a real investigation going on.

One thing that's wierd, I am using IE because I can't seem to log in through Firefox. I enabled scripts on Arisen through noscript, but when I type in my name & password it doesn't work. Will look into it later.

Ya know, one good thing about this email, it convinced me to finally switch to Firefox with noscript. (I know should have done so before, but luckily never been hacked).
Ardane
Registered Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as some of you know I have in fact been hacked.
NO, I didn't fall for a silly e-mail, and I have no clue how anyone might have gotten my pw/account name. The only add-ons I had were DBM, CT Raid, and Decursive.

Unfortunately atm Ardane, Armstard, and my unguilded DK are nekked and broke, and according to the logs Ardane withdrew 1000 gold and pretty much all the enchanting supplies from the guild bank.
I've allready got a ticket in and at the moment my account seems secure again, hopefully Blizz can/will replace the missing items both on my chars and into the GB.
If not.. hopefully folks won't mind a "gear the stupid mage" run or two so I can start farming everything back that's missing.

Best. Gunship Battle. Ever.
Beldarp
Registered Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously. blizzard authenticator. the best $6 dollars you will have ever spent.

"Since probability is multiplicative and multiplication is commutative whether the guaranteed event (1.0) or the random event (0.x) happens first it is irrelevant and you can't say either is better or worse. " -Wilibus
Basilor
Council Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are great from what I understand.........

When they have them in stock.

Last I checked they didn't.
Fredrich
Vanguard Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its good to know that I took the right measures by not clicking anything in the email and sending Blizzard an email direct from their website inquiring as to whether or not they had indeed sent this email. From the sound of it this is something pretty common and maybe Fred has not been turned into an evil doppleganger. Hopefully this is correct.

Hopefully they hook the guild and you up Ardane. I know you had to have that gut dropping feeling when you discovered that you had been ganked.
Aily
The Angry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah like said there's no where in the world that will legitimately ask for your password like that. I've been planning an authenticator as soon as I see 'em up. I've never ever once had an issue with any account on anything but with such things on the rise.

I did note a Zarithar doppelganger though when I went to post on the AH I thought I was undercutting Thead: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Doomhammer&n=Zarithar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zarithar Savageclaw
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aily wrote:
Yeah like said there's no where in the world that will legitimately ask for your password like that. I've been planning an authenticator as soon as I see 'em up. I've never ever once had an issue with any account on anything but with such things on the rise.

I did note a Zarithar doppelganger though when I went to post on the AH I thought I was undercutting Thead: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Doomhammer&n=Zarithar

Thats my AH alt lol Laughing

Feel free to undercut
Aily
The Angry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh so it IS you.. lol well I already did so =P

and here I was making fun of your spec, /shrug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ardane
Registered Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received an e-mail detailing that they're restoring my chars, from the looks of it their logs tracked all the enchanting supplies the jagoffs took from the GB and they're including that, but there's no mention of the 1k gold. Unless it shows in the GB straight up I'll send them a follow up pointing that out, otherwise I had about 840 gold on ard which they are returning and I'll just dump most of that in.

Best. Gunship Battle. Ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arisen Forum Index -> Public Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: