Arisen

HomeHome   HomeAP List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diablo III
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arisen Forum Index -> Other Games: Public Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilibus
Registered Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the first thing I noticed watching the trailer. I doesn't look "scary" enough. But looking at the difference in tone and artwork from the first to the third this does seem like the natural progression.

Not like it matter anyways, like Dennen said we likely won't see this game for several years, and even then we will likely have at least a year of glitchy gameplay and overloaded servers.

Peppwyl
Vanguard Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think (and I hope) that Diablo III will not be an MMO. that would really turn me off if that was the case.
The Explosive

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I figure if it was an MMO they would have announced that as it's kind of important. Since they didn't, and the gameplay doesn't seem to be anything hinting to an MMO, I don't think it will be. I am actually pretty positive on it.

I don't know about D3 not being scary. I personally never found Diablo or Diablo 2 scary. Personally, I don't get the whole petition thing. So the game looks different, big deal. It's still Diablo and it's still Blizzard. People like that can talk all they want about how they'll never buy the game unless it's changed and so on. But at this point, I doubt Blizzard is going to redesign everything to be over the top gothic on every nook, cranny, and on every rock and hillside just to please those people.

I am fairly certain that, and since it makes perfect logical sense to me, that the lower hell-ish dungeons will appear as such. But the overworld shouldn't, in my opinion. So far the only true difference as far as graphics go, in my opinion, is that it's brighter. Because it's daylight.. Gameplay videos I have seen of outdoors are in daylight, thus it is only right that they be brighter. Darken the screen too much to add in a "creepy" type effect will only cause a loss of detail.

That is probably the one thing that bugged me the most about Diablo 2. In D1, it never truly seemed to be daylight at all. In D2, Daylight seemed like one always had the thickest of cloud cover above. Noon in Diablo 2 was very much like 9-10 PM in most cities. Very dark. That really bugged me. Yes, it's all about demons and so on. Assuming that brings about clouds and so on, even after defeating the main boss of the area, it stays that way though. It doesn't change to a brighter environment, nor does this feeling of a smoke-ball-like globe go away. Always in darkness.

Gods forbid a waterfall produce some sort of rainbow as a result. That's not Diablo! That Waterfall best be raining corpses and blood! Else imma start a petition!..... Tch.

Edit: I see this sort of a thing as a flaw in gaming. Because of an artistic direction, or people feeling that certain things should not exist. Like Rainbows.. People tend to feel they should be left out despite that they are a perfectly natural thing. It's not some artificial phenomenon. This is the kind of thing that brought about destructible environments in the first place. You have the strongest gun or sword in the world, and theres the worlds worst terror in front of you on the brink of causing destruction upon everything.... But yet, that wall is his worst enemy. He cannot destroy it. He can hit it with all he's got, and it won't even take a chip off that stone.

Adding things like destructible environments, while it seems like something that is really cool to add to a game - also makes logical sense. Something powerful enough to cleave a beast with a hide the strength of plate mail should at least break off a piece of rock, or at the very least - gaming constraints kept in mind - break a chair. It makes logical sense that a weapon of that strength should be able to destroy a bookcase or a chair, or a table.. But it doesn't make logical sense for there to be a rainbow anywhere near a waterfall area? Does it make sense that monsters in Diablo 2 gush out blood like you just popped a water balloon? No, it doesn't. But it happens. It makes no sense, but it happens.

You ask me. What they've done to Diablo only makes it better.

P.S. The same thing happens with children in video games. Almost always non existant. The same goes for bathrooms. Occasionally you will see a bathroom in a game. But god forbid it be normal! The thing is usually broken up to shreds like some guy geared up with armor and had a mosh pit in there!
Registered Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Diablo III’ Producer Justifies Controversial Art Direction: ‘Color Is Your Friend’

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/02/diablo-iii-art-direction/

you know some of the responses remind of eq forums.

sometimes i feel sorry for developers its hard to give 1 million people exactly what they say they want
Everquest Next Landmark - Gkar
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zarithar Savageclaw
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennen wrote:

I don't know about D3 not being scary. I personally never found Diablo or Diablo 2 scary. Personally, I don't get the whole petition thing. So the game looks different, big deal. It's still Diablo and it's still Blizzard. People like that can talk all they want about how they'll never buy the game unless it's changed and so on. But at this point, I doubt Blizzard is going to redesign everything to be over the top gothic on every nook, cranny, and on every rock and hillside just to please those people.

/agree completely. I think it looks great, and having a bright and sometimes sunny/peaceful looking countryside can make the hellish/gothic/scary looking places stand out even more... a starker contrast if that makes sense.
Wilibus
Registered Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennen wrote:
That Waterfall best be raining corpses and blood! Else imma start a petition
Done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arisen Forum Index -> Other Games: Public Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: